· 2 carp, gutted and scaled
· 800g new season potatoes, scrubbed clean
· 150g butter, cubed
· 15ml apple balsamic vinegar, to taste
· Rapeseed oil
· Sea salt
For the pickled beetroot
· 4 medium beetroot, peeled
· 300ml apple cider vinegar
· 200ml water
· 100g sugar
· A few sprigs of fresh thyme
1. To cook the potatoes: place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Season the water with salt and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until you can pass the point of a knife though the potatoes. Strain and reserve a little of the water in the pot. Melt the butter in the pot. When it begins to boil, add the potatoes and toss through the butter emulsion. Season with some sea salt.
2. To pickle the beetroot: slice the beetroot on a mandolin. Bring the rest of the ingredients to the boil in a pot. Allow to cool slightly. Place the beetroot in a suitable bowl and season with sea salt. Pour the pickling liquor over the beetroot and allow to cool completely.
3. To cook the fish: rub both sides with oil and season lightly with salt. Place on a hot griddle pan and grill both sides. Place the fish in a 180˚C oven and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the internal temperature of the fish is 45˚C. Remove from the oven and transfer on to a paper towel to absorb the excess fat. Brush the top of the carp with some apple balsamic vinegar. Season with a little more salt.
4. Serve the dish family style on three separate dishes.